Stick it in a Blender: Religion Part 1


From springtime

From springtime


From springtime


From springtime


Pictures 1, 3, 4 were taken at one of the first Buddhist temples in Taiwan, in a historic town called Lugang in Central Taiwan.


Because of my background, culture, education, or whatever I want to pin it on, I think that I've developed a mindset that has to box everything up in order to understand it. For example, I minored in world religions in college and took many classes studying worldviews, philosophies and religions, and while I loved studying about it at the time, I've been amazed to find that Taiwanese do not fit into any of these labeled boxes that I had studied. Although many Taiwanese call themselves Buddhist or Taoist, their beliefs are much more transcendent than that. A lot of Taiwanese that I have talked to are actually very religious (especially in older generations), and worship at the temples. The type of temple, though, is not easy to categorize.

I can't count the number of times I've stood in a temple with a local friend and asked,"So what kind of temple is this?" And they shrugged their shoulders and told me instead about the deity seated in the front of the temple, and how it's important to carry 3 incense sticks for each deity, and the path to walk through the temple, and more temple practices that bring better luck to your life. Sometimes the temples feature warlords who combatted invaders two hundred years ago, or a female deity named Matsu who will save you on the sea, Confucious himself, or Cai Shen, who will make you prosperous and successful. Read more about the most popular gods of Taiwan HERE:

When it comes to religious practices in every day life, I think that it's more seasonal than daily, at least for people my age. In the beginning of the year, there are many ways to bring luck and blessing on each person's life, and then there are special holidays to commemorate family, ancestors, and religion. However, when it comes to daily living, according to friends, it's not so much an ongoing practice like Western Christianity. There are not weekly church services, or scripture studies, or confessionals. Instead, when a woman wants a baby, she will go to the temple. When a man wants to start a business, he will go to the temple. In fact, I know many of my friends are very spiritual, but maybe not as "religious" as their parents' generation. They don't have alters of incense in their living rooms, nor do they give offerings to Buddha each day. Their understanding of religious practices is not as detailed, but their faith in a higher being is strong. I think this is very similar to my friends back home, and it's been said to be a sign of the postmodern way of thought that is prominent among our generation.

So reading through this post, I don't really think I've explained anything at all. Just that religion in Taiwan is like taking Chinese folk religions, Buddhism, teachings of the Tao and Confucious, and sticking them all in a blender, and there you go. The best thing to do, if you want to know more, is go to a temple with a Taiwanese person. Talk to them about the different worship techniques. And then talk to an old guy or lady and see what they have to say. And then do it again. And throw away your boxes and labels and open your mind to new ideas and thoughts and marvel at the beauty of belief.

No comments:

Post a Comment