English Camp is Finally Open!!!


From Taiwan Pics
After a 2-month delay in opening, we finally had our very first week of English camp. Think of it like regular American summer camp, throw in a dose of school, and mix in a major part of language barrier, and there you have it-English camp!
From Taiwan Pics
Here are some random things that we thought were interesting or funny about the kids:
From Taiwan Pics
1. Their English names. Most kids have middle aged american names like Cindy, Joe, Albert, Tony, Jerry, Frank, Hank, Jim, and Annie. Or invented names like Black, or Wiwi.
2. Some things are international, like ADD. Keeping the kids engaged in class was soooo trying at times, especially when they understand a small percentage of what we're actually saying.
From Taiwan Pics
Another aspect of these kids that is international is girl-hater s. Since we have 2 or more schools attending our school each week, girls from the same school assume that girls from the other school hate them. We sat down with all the girls the first night of camp and told them that they'd Better stop talking smack about each other and make an attempt at friendship.
From Taiwan Pics
3. Kids are uber competative! For a teacher, we totally banked on this fact, because no matter what skill level they were at. By making each rotating class into a team, we could discipline the whole team by taking away a chip if a couple of kids are misbehaving. The team with the most chips at the end of the week wins a prize, so when one kid screws it up for the rest, the discipline is in their hands. It's wonderful whe we hear the students shhh-ing themselves as we thraten to take a chip away. (this makes me realize how devious and tricky my teachers were).

From Taiwan Pics
4. Language frustration is inevitable. Sometimes, we just don't understand each other and I feel bad because it's not their fault that we are forcing English immersion upon them, and some kids are really tempted to check out and quit paying attention in class. As a teacher, (and I feel this is true for any educator) we have to pay attention and monitor the progress of all the students, not just the eager beavers who are in English heaven. I pray for patience and understanding to connect and engage with those trouble-makers who just make me want to scream, because they're usually the ones who are the most confused by the full English environment.
From Taiwan Pics
5. The week at English camp is one of the most memorable weeks of these kids' lives. In the midst of my lesson planning panic, frustration at misbehaving kids, and task-chasing, I almost forgot one of the most important things: that these kids are forming lifelasting memories! On the last day. a bunch of the girls started crying. It started with one, and I looked around to see which mean boy had hit her, then I saw 2 and then 3 girls start to weep. What in the world? Then I thougt back to my own 12-year old self and remembered the flood of emotions that ran through me on the last day of camp. And those weeks of camp were always the hilight my my year. Those girls reminded me once again of the explosion of fun that our students have at camp, and hopefully we'll send every student home crying, because they already miss English camp that much.
From Taiwan Pics
After 1 week, Aaron and I are exhausted and ready to rewrite our lesson plans. Since we have every other week off, we'll do the adventuring and exploring that we've been looking forward to do. This week: hiking to hotsprings then scootering to the east coast to see the ocean!

From Taiwan Pics

1 comment:

Wei-Ming said...

It's very interesting. somebody named Wiwi? really? wow.
You guys must be very tired after 5 days to living with so many kids. I don't think I can do it.
But I think all of you are pretty important for these kids. Your contribution is so great.
I may go to Koulai to visit you someday.

Post a Comment