Starting Over can be AWESOME!


From The Rikon Expedition


From The Rikon Expedition


From The Rikon Expedition


From The Rikon Expedition


From The Rikon Expedition


From The Rikon Expedition


From The Rikon Expedition


From The Rikon Expedition





I know I gloated a lot in the last post. And I'm going to try to be more informational this time, rather than "look at all the good deals we got!" But seriously, we are so blessed. I've always loved change, and this move has been so easy and beautiful. Our apartment is the perfect size for us, and I have a big open kitchen. After doing laundry in the boys dorm for a few weeks, I almost had a nervous breakdown (boys laundry room=anarchy/chaos!), and the wonderful principal delivered a washer and dryer to us and that just made my day.

Here is what we do here:

Aaron is the Assistant Boys' Dean and he works very long hours, but the work is so easy! Sure, they have their moments of discipline or stern talks, or man-herding, but for the most part it seems like he sits in his office and talks to guys. It's actually so much fun that I've been going in there and hanging out with the guys too. And when I say "hanging out", I really mean laughing at them because they are so funny and ridiculous most of the time. Aaron works about 4 days a week but the days are really long (9am-1am), and then he's off every other weekend. He has 2 other deans that he works with (quite the cushy situation), and they're both so cool. The head dean has a wife about our ages and they have an adorable baby boy. The other dean is Danny, who's practically family to us, and we dragged him out here with us from Tennessee. He's a mega-talented animation major (graduating '12) and the boys just love him.

Let's see...I'm trying to write what I do...my official role so far is a Freshman Mentor/Tutor. Our school is starting a program this year to help the freshmen transition into high school and I get to be with the freshmen girls every night for study hall. (Danny is with the guys). We make sure they're on task with their homework and teach them study skills on the way. We also hold them accountable for their grades and attendance and also meet with them regularly to see how their high school experience is going. It's a lot of fun-better than reality tv-except now i'm realizing that the drama is SO high and I just feel bad for girls sometimes and their lack of tact when it comes to gossip.

Other than that, I'm regularly applying to jobs and doing everything I can to find some sort of regular work. It's tough! I've sent out about 74 resumes and am now getting to be a little cynical at craigslist posts and have decided that they're mostly scams. I've heard back briefly from a couple companies but haven't been invited to interview yet. I'm too far from San Francisco for the more numerous non-profit and communication jobs, and I really feel like a tiny fish in a huge school of applicants. Sometimes I try to mentally attach "PLEASE MEET ME! THEN YOU'LL KNOW I'M PERFECT FOR YOUR JOB!", to my emails to people, but I refrain from actually doing that. It's frustrating, but at the same time, it's opened up time for me to get to know people, students, other faculty members, and has forced me to think about and prioritize what it is I actually want to do for a career.

(which is why I haven't yet settled for a restaurant serving job...yet).

Anyway, again, we're happy to be here and are so grateful to the people who have helped us transition here.

No comments:

Post a Comment